Problem:I need a new wireless router for my home. Which one should I buy? What do you recommend?
If you are using an old router or have just moved to a new house and need a new wireless router to use with your Internet connection, read on.
From personal experience, we recommend using Linksys WRT54G, Linksys WRT54G2 or Buffalo routers.
NOTE: While Netgear may be good, their customer support has not been great. Netgear has in the past refused to replace or refund routers that got bricked (became useless) after upgrading to the official firmware on Netgear's website.
D-Link routers are decent, but they have a short range and regular dropped Internet signals.
Belkin routers have a weak signal and we won't recommend them.
If you have had good or bad experience with any of the above mentioned routers, please feel free to comment. Thank you.
Tips for getting stronger router signals:
- Raise the router as high as possible to increase the effective broadcast range. The best position would be near the center of your house or apartment for wider coverage.
- If you live in a 3 storeyed house or higher, you may want to invest in a wireless access point, repeater or create a bridged connection with another similar router. You may also replace the antenna with a larger one.
- Keep router away from any metal including shelves, microwaves, cordless phones, microwave ovens and objects which operate on the same 2.4-Ghz frequency. Also keep it as far as possible from your neighbour's wifi router.
- Routers broadcast on a series of channels, between one and eleven. Change to a channel that will allow your router a clear signal between other wireless networks. The default is usually 6.
- If your router suddenly starts behaving slow, see if your phone or any device is near the router, and take them away.
- To increase router signal, change the Xmit power of your router (the default is usually 28mW in Linksys routers. You can boost this number to up to 200mW, but recommended is 50mW. Any higher will risk your router from burning out.
- You can also boost router signal strength by making a parabolic antenna using tinfoil. [More on this soon...]
If you need to buy a router online, you may click on any of the router links on the right side.
DISCLAIMER: Anything you buy is at your own risk. PinoyList.net only recommends the routers, it is not liable for any damage that is caused by the router manufacturing or you.
- Posted on 2010-08-08 17:11:05